June 4, 2023

All Genre Open Mic Out of Bennington, May 9

Tonight, the 2-round pattern that Charlie Rossiter, our host, likes made for an interesting interplay of poems.

I was up first, as I often am, but that with the 2 rounds I get to hear everyone before I go again which gives me a chance to respond to other readers that I don’t often get when I read first in other venues. In the 1st round I read a new piece from my stay in Philadelphia at the beginning of April, “The Great Figure,” based on a poem by William Carlos Williams of the same title. In the 2nd round I read an old poem I performed many times with the 3 Guys from Albany, “I Thought I Saw Elvis” inspired by Cheryl Rice’s reading (see below).


I was followed by another Sheryl (Bedingfield), her 1st round a piece about visitors to her neighborhood, “Animals Come;” then the 2nd time around an inspiring poem inspired by woman who influenced her, “Conversation with White Rose.” 


Mark O'Brian read from from a work-in-progress, a a segment titled "Trouble on the Trails,"  about the character Pathos Phil; in the second round, responding to Cheryl’s poem & mine, with rock’n’roll lines, “Elvis is the Driver on our Bus.” 



Bill Thwing, with his guitar, sang “a Mother’s Day” a ghost story about a call from his Mother. In his second round, he sang a piece with lyrics by a friend (Bill wrote the music) “Live in the Beauty of Light, about the historical figure, Jonathan Edwards.  

Cheryl A. Rice started all the trouble in her first round with a piece about Elvis’s daughter, “I Saw Lisa Marie,” that brought to mind my old poem, that I read in my 2nd round (see above); then, in her 2nd round, a bio of sorts titled “The Wives of Tom Mix” (he had 5).


In both her rounds Bridget Elder read descriptive pieces without titles, 1st round poem was about a Sunday by the beach; in the 2nd round a Winter poem.


Our host Charlie Rossiter began with a poem “Canada Boring, What if the Artist Asks;”

then in his 2nd round some wistful musing of the seasons “Seasons of Wisconsin.”


Bruce Robinson who I believe is another poet Zooming in from Albany only read in the first round, a descriptive piece musing at cocktail hour at a local bistro (wonder if I know the place?).


Tom Nicotera read a portrait of his Italian Grandma, remembering her meatballs & ice cream; for the 2nd round he read “The Man from the Asylum” based on a scene in Fellini’s movie Amaracord, which is a favorite of mine that I’ve heard him enthusiastically perform a number of times.


In her first round Naomi Bindman read about a bee visiting her in the garden; in round 2 she read a prose poem titled “Gratitude,” about walking the dog in the morning in the rain, mixing in childhood songs, thinking of her mother’s voice.


Francesca Sidoti, also Zoomed in from Albany to read a work in progress titled "Age," then in the 2nd round read "Back to School," a mother & child poem based on working in a school. 


Julie Lomoe read a couple of repeats that she has been reading out lately, in the 1st round one from 2016, “Bela & the Rats;” then in her 2nd round (& the night’s last round), one in the voice of her (now dead) dog, “Sirius the Alpha Dog of the Aries Lake.”


This is better than being there — you can wear what you want, make your own drink, not have to drive home, & you can use your own bathroom — but you can still hear some good poetry. Every 2nd Tuesday, & if you’re not on Charlie’s list, you can send an email to charliemrossiter@gmail.com & ask him for the link. Hope to see you there.


No comments: