October 2, 2022

Spoken Word out of Bennington, September 13

It was good to be “back in Bennington again” — even though this is on Zoom, it still feels like a “place,” not just my house. Still, I got there late while Sheryll was reading, & caught only a snippet of what sounded like a fascinating poem.

Charlie Rossiter, the host of this monthly event, read an “Homage to the Capri Motel,” a place he has stayed in Canada. 

I read 2 Haiku I have collectively titled “Cape Ann Haiku,” one for Rockport, MA, the other for Good Harbor Beach in Gloucester.


Charlie liked to do a 2nd round of one poem each, which is good because I got to hear Jim Madigan (from Oak Park Illinois), whom I missed in the 1st round before I got “there/here”; he read part of longer poem, started with a girl in a tee shirt with a picture of Geronimo, that moved on to a VN vet/Black Panther taking that name.


Tom Nicotera, read about a trip to Roswell, NM 2 short descriptive Haiku-like poems.


Charlie talked about tweaking his old poems & read one for his old buddy, Craig, “In The Days of Old.” 


& I got to go again, this time with another Cape Ann-based poem, this inspired by a painting in the Cape Ann Museum, “Marsden Hartley’s Eyes.”


It’s always a friendly, poetic group each 2nd Wednesday on Zoom, from Bennington, VT. If you are not already on Charlie’s list you can join us by sending him an email at charliemrossiter@gmail.com & ask him for the link.




No comments: